Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Friends make the world go round . . . .

I just wanted to write a few notes about my amazing, wonderful girlfriends. I have more than my share and, for that, I am so grateful. I've heard people say that it gets harder to make friends as you get older but that has not been my experience. I think it has to do with being more happy with who I am now and not being afraid to be me, showing all my cards, all my weirdness and, in effect, just saying "this is it . . .take it or leave it. . . " Plus I don't have children and other women my age are starting to be child-free now the kids have all gone to college, so they have time to devote to friendship 'stuff'. All my girls are smart, funny and caring. Some are hysterically funny! There are a couple who I can tell ANYTHING to and I know they won't judge me and what I say won't be repeated - that is such a gift because, trust me, I have issues.

Some of my friends are bootcamp buddies - there's something about sweating together at 5am that just bonds you together. I LOVE these women. We are a diverse group; moms, non-moms, conservative, liberal, young, older, runners, walkers, funny and even funnier! We started meeting for breakfast once a month and I find myself wanting them in my life more often than that. I've convinced Karen to meet twice a month for a glass or two of wine and I love our 'belly-up-to-the-bar' sessions! It's total therapy. . . .
The latest is we have all signed up to do the Music City Half Marathon in April and a Warrior Dash, a run through fire, mud and all manner of obstacles, in September.

I believe, as you age, girlfriends become even more important and valuable to each other. I cannot put into words how I treasure the women in my life. I look forward to our futures, to sharing the good times and the sad ones, to holding each other up and carrying each other when it's needed, to celebrating the joys and the victories we experience together . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment