Saturday, March 26, 2011

Words

People that know me well know that I love words or groups of words. I love prose. I love the spoken word. Monologues in movies, witty or inspirational dialogue, poems, essays. I have whole journals, begun thirty years ago, with passages and poems and quotes that caught my eye and I wanted to keep and read over and over again. I wish I were a better writer. I'm about to enroll in a screenplay class, mostly because of my love of the written and the spoken word and my passion about films.


Last night I wanted to find a certain passage in one of said journals but couldn't. I remember being crazily in love with this part of the script from the 1996 movie, The English Patient.  One of the characters (Katharine I think was her name) is dying in a cave and you hear her voice reading what she has written in the cave while waiting to be rescued. I have no idea why these words resonated with me but they did. I would read them aloud and loved them so much. Of course, I loved the film too.


Today I found the script online and rewrote the passage and figured I'd use it as part of my blog entry today!
Here it is:

We die, we die rich with lovers and tribes, tastes we have swallowed, bodies we have entered and swum up like rivers, fears we have hidden in like this wretched cave...I want all this marked on my body.
We are the real countries, not the boundaries drawn on maps with the names of
powerful men.
I know you will come and carry me out into the palace of winds, the rumors of water... That's all I've wanted - to walk in such a place with you, with friends, on an earth without maps.

GOOSEBUMPS!
I want to learn to write like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment