Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Date with hubby

For my whole life I have LOVED to go to bed early and spend time in my room. Even as a child and teenager my parents didn't have to tell me over and over that it was time for bed. "Go to your room" was a wonderful punishment - all my stuff was there, my books, my drawing pad and pencils, a view over the backyards of the neighborhood, my bed for napping!

To this day I usually go up to my room for most of the evening. I don't watch much TV (and there isn't one in our bedroom) so I go up to the couch in our room and read, or work on paperwork for my business, or, more rarely, lift some weights and do some push-ups! In the winter I retire even earlier. Once it's dark, I'm done. Friends know if they want to get me out in the colder months, whatever the event is should begin by 5.30pm at the latest, so I have to leave the house just before it gets dark. . . .

Last night I have no idea what got into me. Charles and I have wanted to see the film 'The King's Speech' for weeks. He's usually at work or, if he's home, we get sidetracked with projects and errands that need doing or, "it's too dark to go out now. . !"  But Charles was on a conference call and I checked Fandango.com for movie times. The next one playing was at 7.35pm.  7.35PM!!!

I'll never know what was different about last night but I asked him during a lull in his call if 7.30 was too late for a movie, for him. He said it'd be great and I hopped in the shower, washed and blow dried my hair, even put a teeny bit of make-up on. And we went out! We left at 6.15pm and went to the bar at The Cheesecake Factory for a glass of wine and then saw the film (which was fantastic by the way, one of the best I've seen in months), and didn't get home til 10pm! Big night for the Phillips'!  I always think I'll feel exhausted if I go out late but this morning I feel pretty good.  Maybe we should try and do it more often . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment