Monday, February 14, 2011

Letters, Love, Laying in sunshine!

A beautiful day. Valentine's Day too, as a matter of fact.
First I managed to get out of bed at 4.45am and get myself to bootcamp. First time in two and a half weeks. It wasn't pretty, and I've lost a fair bit of endurance, but I survived and it will only get better from here. Josh had these little gel flowers as valentines for us all. I put mine on my rear view mirror in the car - it made me smile many times today . . . .

Then there was the weather. 68 degrees this afternoon. Bright, warm sunshine - heaven! After work I took Nigel out to the Steeplechase. He ran around and I couldn't help myself. I found a gently sloping grassy spot and laid on the grass for twenty minutes just soaking that sunlight through my skin. Why does sun on the skin feel so divine? Especially the first warm sunshine of the year - it's not yet been weeks on end of 95 degrees with 100% humidity, I suppose. Nope. It was wonderful. After my sunshine siesta Nigel and I walked around the park, not wanting to return to the car and the house!  The forecast for the week is super though, so I'm certain there will be more of the same to come!

Lastly, tonight, I was thinking it's been way way too long since I wrote to nan (my Grandmother in England), so I sat and penned 7 pages of jibber jabber about what's going on in our lives. I know she loves to hear all this, what we consider, mundane stuff. She is ninety-seven and can't get around like she used to, so letters keep her connected to the world. She's a special woman. Still living alone in her house. Still walking into the village everyday to buy something for dinner, to get her hair done, to sit on the bench and chat with passerby. Wonderful lady. Her name is Gertrude Reid (but she goes by Muriel, her middle name). Wonder if that name (Gertrude) will ever come back into vogue?!!

Here's a quote I like about letters: "Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company."  Lord Byron
I hope everyone had a nice Valentine's Day . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment